Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Power of Art

I wouldn't consider myself a writer in any way. Words don't come to me. Instead I paint my thoughts, words, actions, and emotions. I can express myself more clearly through a painting than words would ever describe. Color is a big part of my life. It's in the clothes I wear, used to be in my make-up, it's in my hair, my personality, my room, and my family. So it probably isn't surprising that I use a lot of bright colors in my paintings. I have one of a sunset, a teary eye, candles fading into the darkness/distance, two pointillism paintings, and several of flowers. My style of painting isn't necessarily sophisticated. They definitely show immaturity in the style of painting, but each gets the point across, at least I feel they do! I have taken a few art classes but none of them really hit the spot for me. I need freedom to paint. Even when the teacher assigns a project that is up to us, it is hard to come up with an idea that the teacher would like. In other words I end up painting to the teachers style and not my own. Another hard thing about art classes is that sometimes I will go a couple months without a good enough idea to paint. These classes end up rushing my thoughts and I feel like the painting isn't any good to show people yet. I find it a lot easier to paint on my terms when my thoughts come on their own. The creativity is definitely more prominent in my paintings when there is freedom.

1 comment:

  1. I think your posting makes such an important point...people have different preferred ways of expressing themselves. For some, it may be photography; for others, painting; for others, words; for others, numbers. So--I wonder, is there a way to bring students' preferred methods of communication into mathematics?

    Maybe you could give assignments where students do some sort of analysis on unemployment rates in their community (for example) and they can use paintings, drawings, and words to accompany the numerical information.

    When I taught English, I found that students often wrote MORE when they could use multiple forms of representations other than writing. So maybe students would engage in numerical reasoning MORE if you gave them opportunities to embed this numerical information in different kinds of visual texts?

    Just brainstorming here....don't quote me on this posting. :)

    ReplyDelete